School Logo

Sea View Community Primary School

Google Services

Google Translate


Google Search


Additional Learning Needs


Sea View Primary School is proud of the support we give to learners who have Additional Learning Needs.  We work with the learner and their family in a person-centred way to identify any learning needs that the child might have and plan appropriate interventions, support and provision.  The ALN team also works closely with our Pastoral Support Team.


The ALN team comprises of:

Mr Tiltman -Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo)

Miss S Davies - Behaviour Coordinator / Health & Well-being AoLE Lead

Miss Hart - ALN Team Member

Mrs Rabab - ALN Team Member

Miss Thomas - Gross and Fine Motor Skills Trained Teaching Assistant 

Miss Smith - Speech, Language and Communication Teaching Assistant & Social Communication Champion

Mrs Saunders & Mrs R Davies - Well-being Team


If you have a concern about your child, please make an appointment to speak to Mr Tiltman.


The ALN System in Wales


The system for identifying and supporting young people who have Additional Learning Needs is changing.  To find out more, please click the link below.


‘An introduction to the new ALN system in Wales


Further information can be found here:




ALN Process in Swansea

Produced by Swansea LA

Universal Provision @ Sea View


Some children will have areas of the curriculum or learning that they find more challenging or have particular difficulties in.  These can include:

  • speech, language and communication;
  • social communication;
  • literacy;
  • numeracy;
  • coordination;
  • behaviour; and
  • physical or sensory difficulties.


In Sea View, we work hard to try and identify these needs early.   We do this by using a range of different assessments and observations.  If we identify a difficulty, we provide support to the child to help support them. We have a range of strategies and interventions that we use to do this.  These form our universal provision.  These interventions include:

  • Literacy and Numeracy catchups and support;
  • Phonics Booster sessions;
  • Dyslexia resources;
  • Fine and Gross Motor Skills Interventions;
  • Talk About Sessions;
  • Social Skills Groups;
  • Speech Link;
  • Language Link;
  • Wellcomm; and
  • The Sunshine Room Nurture Provision.


Details of our Universal Provision can be found below.


When we identify a learning difficulty, we may set targets for your child to work towards. We regularly monitor these targets and set further targets to support your child.


If your child is not making progress towards their targets, we may need to seek further advice from a specialist.  There are a number of professionals we can access to help provide support.  These include:

  • Speech Therapists;
  • Occupational Therapists;
  • Physiotherapists;
  • Specialist Teachers including Behaviour Support Teachers; and
  • Educational Psychologists.


If we feel that your child would benefit from seeing a specialist, the school's ALNCo, Mr Tiltman will discuss this with you.  The professional may then provide your child with programmes or targets to work towards.  These will be added to your child's Learning Support Plan.  


What happens if my child continues to have difficulties?


If your child continues to have significant difficulties in an area of learning or is failing to make progress, the school will carry out an assessment to determine whether your child has additional learning needs (ALN) that need an additional learning provision (ALP) as determined by the Additional Learning Needs Code of Practice.  If it is determined that your child has an ALN that requires an ALP, an Individual Development Plan (IDP) will be written for them by either the school or the Local Authority.  The leaflets below will explain the process.  As a parent/carer, you will be involved in the creation of the IDP and we will hold a meeting to explain the process.


If my child has a diagnosis of Autism or ADHD, will they receive an IDP?


This depends on the individual child. Some children with Autism or ADHD can manage using universal provision strategies, others need greater levels of additional support.  The school will determine this in consultation with you.


What happens if my child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs?


If your child has a statement of Educational Needs, these will gradually transfer to IDPs over the next 2-3 years.  The school or the Local Authority will contact you to explain the process.


What should I do if I am worried about my child?


In the first instance, speak to your child's class teacher.  Mr Tiltman, the Additional Learning Needs Coordinator is also available to discuss any worries or queries you might have.

Universal Provision @ Sea View Document

Additional Learning Needs Resources for Parents - Produced by City & County of Swansea